Friday, June 6, 2008

Sometimes, change is NOT good

Where has eventing gone? Where is it going? I really enjoyed this letter to the USEA blog by the talented and successful upper-level rider, Dorothy Crowell (pictured at the left on Radio Flyer at the 2008 Rolex Kentucky 3-day Event). I've met Dorothy and chatted with her at a few Kentucky events where I have been competing alongside her -- me on Eddie and her on her young and green horses. I actually have her cell number programmed into my cell phone. She had agreed to help me start Reece, a WHILE AGO, but he hasn't been either healthy or ready, so the opportunity hasn't risen yet. I have always liked her approach to riding, training, and TEACHING her horses and her students (not just coaching, but educating as well). Her views in this letter just solidify my already positive impression of her. "When the joy of galloping to a cross country fence is gone, so is the impetus that brings us home safely. Both horse and rider should be in the start box trembling with anticipation, not fear." Amen.

No comments: