Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cake Wrecks (part II)

This lovely cake was created for my friend Lauren to celebrate her 24th birthday a few weeks ago. I don't know exactly who is responsible for this...work of art...but it's just beyond words. Really. I can't figure out whether it is truly funny, or in light of the honestly dangerous nature of our sport, it should perhaps be seen as sad and too-too-realistic. I tend to see the hilarity in it, as Lauren so aptly commented that the colors of the horses even accurately matched her own 2 horses, and that "appropriately enough, Ari has thrown me off in my show jumping attire!" (Lauren has had a bad run of luck in the show jumping phase of a few events recently). :)

At any rate, it was such a creative effort, I had to post it here. The genius behind it (the accuracy of the construction of the cross-country jumps and the praying groom) is just eerie, but humorous all the same. Good luck at the Middle Tennessee Pony Club Horse Trials next week, Lauren!!!

2 comments:

Melissa-ParadigmFarms said...

I like it! The jumps are great and the praying groom is a nice touch. The only thing I am confused about is the rider on the ground. Is s/he on a tarp, in a pool of blood or what??

Holly Ratcliff said...

I think it is supposed to be a pool of blood. As in, "Lauren, cross-country for you is basically just a blood bath. Have fun!" Of course, she did very well at Kentucky Classic in Lexington last month, so I'm happy to say that I think the cake was very ironic. If it were about this time last year (when she came off at the "Garden Rail" on cross-country at MTPC) then the cake might have just been adding insult to injury. But, then again, what else are friends for? :) I still don't know who made this cake for her!!!