Monday, February 2, 2009

So SUV me

I drive an SUV (albeit a normal sized one, when I'm not driving the family 1 ton pick-up truck). My lifestyle dictates that I must drive a car that I can fit all my horse gear in, and the occasional dog or two. Celia Rivenbark debates the need for SUV ownership very entertainingly. I'm definitely an SUV/truck driver out of necessity, but don't think for one second that if I could walk into a Ford dealership today and drop $60,000 on this truck, just because it's gorgeous to behold, that I wouldn't. Because, I totally would.

As one [ethicist] explained it, "If you buy an SUV, you're buying your safety at the expense of someone else's." Well, yes. And your point would be? Sorry. I know that's not the PC reaction, but let's face it. If you're driving a Hyundai, which basically runs on air and tofu, and you get in an accident with an SUV, are you going to say, "Well, at least I have the courage of my convictions"? Hell, no. You're going to say, "Soon's I get outta this hospital bed and find my legs, I'm gonna get me a Suburban. Loaded." Why should I apologize for wanting to buy the safest family vehicle I honestly cannot afford? It's the American way. -- Celia Rivenbark, We're Just Like You, Only Prettier

No comments: