Saturday, March 31, 2007

Seriously.

As many of you other eventers know, our sport is inherently dangerous to competitors: both horses and riders. One thing that many of us who compete in horse trials face at one time or another is the question, "But why do you do it?" I think that's the $1M question. No matter whether it's at the lowest level (me!) or at the international level, not a one of us can really describe in so many words what it's like to be an eventer. We just have to do it!

I'm constantly concerned about my welfare, my horses' welfare, and the well-being and safety of my friends and fellow competitors. But no matter how efficient, how well-prepared, or how professional an event is organized, run, or contested, the unthinkable does happen. This year, our premiere event in the world of eventing (The Badminton Horse Trials CIC 4-star) has named the Spinal Injuries Association as the official charity of the 2007 competition. Some may say that this is surreal, but I happen to think it is facing reality head-on. Unlike those competitors who won't look at the medics/ambulances situated on-site on cross-country day (for fear of jinxing themselves and bringing down bad luck!), I happen to appreciate the medical personnel who volunteer to serve at our competitions. We can't pretend that nobody ever gets hurt. And, frankly, I am pleased when I know assistance is near at hand, as I think to myself, "wow...if Eddie decides NOT to jump that stone wall, when he slams to a halt and I hit it, something is going to get broken!" When that day comes, I know someone will be there for me, so I think it is worthy to recognize and support those organizations dedicated to being there for and caring for those individuals who have been severely injured doing what they truly love.

2 comments:

Amy Brand said...

Good blog! That is a great post, and I know first-hand just how dangerous it is! I was slammed into a rather large bank at a ** event and broke my back. I am lucky to be walking, and let alone riding now. I have a nice metal rod now.

Holly Ratcliff said...

Thanks, Amy! In the short time that I've had the pleasure to know you, I certainly have admired your ability to weather some terrible falls, yet to always, always, always get "back in the saddle." You are the embodiment of the "Why do you do it?" connundrum. "Why do I do it? Because I love it!"

I hope all is well with your herd this spring and hope to see you at Percy Warner when I'm down there in a few weeks. The new event year is upon us!