Tuesday, June 14, 2011

We Can Fly!

Fellow riders know why we ride. We love to run, we love to jump, and for those of us who do it....there's really nothing else like it. I've started reading a George R.R. Martin book that another eventer loaned to me and it is about a mythical world called Windhaven where they have "flyers" (mere humans who can put on wings and travel from island to island by floating on the air currents). They have laws, traditions, and an entire culture that involves flyers (and ONLY flyers). For those that have flown, they would rather die by lightening strike or falling into the ocean than to give up their wings. Then, there are the "land bound" mortals who know nothing of flying and just stand and admire the flyers as they soar overhead. I think I know a little bit about what it's like to be a flyer and no matter how good or bad I am at it, I wouldn't want to go on living any other way!

Buck Davidson galloping on air at Bromont.
Photo by Samantha L. Clark

Sharon White literally FLYING over that big table on Rafferty's Rules!
Photo by Samantha L. Clark

No comments: