Thursday, October 6, 2011

Friday Favorites: Erika Adams

Erika and Williston, Open Intermediate (River Glen, 2011)
Photo by Samantha Monnig

My "Friday Favorites" endeavor would be sorely remiss if I didn't feature a local rider at some point. Erika Adams is a Knoxville eventer who is the fearless leader of the Road Less Traveled Eventing Team. This is a fun and laid back group of riders, no doubt due to the fact that Erika is very down-to-earth, unassuming, and rather un-intimidating (when she's not wearing a Batman t-shirt). However, in competition mode, she is totally professional, all-business, and no-nonsense (when she's not flashing rocker horns at the professional photographer while galloping cross-country). As you can tell, Erika is an eventer who enjoys life and takes it as it comes. If only we could all be as happy and energetic! So, here is my Friday Favorites for this week, courtesy of Erika Adams.

1. Favorite name for a horse:  Most of my horses are named after poetry, and I am waiting to get a horse worthy of the name Invictus. Outside of the realm of poetry, I have always loved the name Free Radical.


2. Favorite drink:  Very dirty martini. Swamp water dirty.


3. Favorite vacation destination:  Anywhere I have ever been.


4. Favorite book:  There are so many......seriously. If I had to narrow it down: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and Leaves of Grass, and the Harry Potter series, and the Chronicles of Narnia series, and Diaries of Adam and Eve, and and and.....


5. Favorite reality t.v. show:  guuurrllll.....America's Next Top Model!


6. Favorite pair of shoes:   I love boots. Everything from my Treadsteppers to the knee-high stiletto boots that go great with "the little black dress."


7. Favorite high school subject:  I was always more of a History, English, Art type. But, I was inspired by any teacher that loved to teach their subject. Even if that was calculus...


8. Favorite pizza topping:  Pepperoni with spinach and black olives....mmhmmmmm! Think I am getting hungry now....


9. Favorite city that you've never lived in:  If I wasn't into the horse thing, I would be on the West coast. Seattle. I have visited there many times and each time I go back, I fall more and more in love with it.


10. Favorite motto:  I have 3:
"The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground" -- unknown
"Throw your heart over the fence and the rest will follow" -- Norman Vincent Peale
"I set my goals high and reach them one stride at a time" -- Me

Erika and Williston after cross-country (River Glen, 2011)
Photo by Samantha Monnig