Friday, July 13, 2007

Breathe

One of my favorite chores, lately, has been to get out and water the flowers around my house at dusk each evening. I have a big wild cherry tree that towers over my side yard and reaches towards my house, which makes it very green, leafy, and shady. When I stand under that tree in the evenings, the crickets and cicadas are so loud and rhythmical that it's almost hypnotic. Last night, I was standing there in the cool breeze under the tree, looking towards my barn, listening to the nighttime bugs, and watching the fireflies come out to play. Out of the corner of my eye I saw one of my dogs wander through the backyard, my little cat was rubbing against my ankle, and I could just barely see my gorgeous horse, Reece, grazing off in the darkening haze, swishing his tail back-and-forth and twitching his ears at the gnats. My chest has felt so tight lately, with stress and anxiety, that it's only in these types of moments that I can shake off the day, take a deep breath, and really feel like myself.

Have a great weekend everyone! Don't forget to breathe. :)

No comments: