Friday, October 15, 2010

"And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse."


Photo by Marc Manning

It has taken me a few days to sit down and write this post, but I'm finally getting the time to stop and reflect. The 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games ended this past weekend in Lexington and the news in the horse world has been shockingly quiet as the happenings and goings-on of these exciting 2 weeks start to evaporate into thin air. I had intended to go to WEG for several years leading up to the competition (I had a free place to stay with my college roommate and her husband and 2 wonderful kids), but as the time approached, other things took priority and the expense of the travel just didn't seem worth it, afterall. But, knowing that all of those riders, owners, competitors, horse lovers, and horse sport enthusiasts were gathered together in one place, at one time, for the first time in this country (and, only 2.5 hours from where I live), it is a bit exciting to think about.

Horses have been a part of my life from the time I could walk (even before I could walk!) and they will be a part of my life until the day I die. Horses are amazing, incredible animals, and I'm not just saying this because I love my guys so much. I was very moved by the inclusion of the Para-equestrian competition at the recent WEG. The disabled athletes should compete alongside the traditional disciplines and I hope that they enjoyed their experience in Kentucky and that the para-disciplines will always be a part of WEG from now on. I've included a link, here, to a photographer's online album that I saw that captures some of the most beautiful images of the entire games. What the traditional riders accomplish is astounding, but to see a person who cannot walk on her own, or who cannot stand without assistance, riding atop a horse to victory, satisfaction, and pure enjoyment is one of the most inspiring things a fellow rider can witness. The good Lord created the horse for many reasons, but the one I find to always be so special is the realization that a horse doesn't see people with disabilities. A horse will run, and jump, and fly even, no matter what the rider is capable of doing on his own. A horse alone is an animal standing in a field; a person is just a member of our human population. But together, they become something that is almost not even of this earth.

When God created the horse, he said to the magnificent creature: I have made thee as no other. All the treasures of the earth shall lie between thy eyes. Thou shalt cast thy enemies between thy hooves, but thou shalt carry my friends upon they back. Thy saddle shall be the seat of prayers to me. And thou shall fly without any wings, and conquer without any sword. ~ The Koran

Photo by Marc Manning

No comments: