Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Karma

So, I am frequently caught up in all my little daily personal dramas, and yesterday was no different. Remember a few posts ago when I talked about the new book I just bought, "You Know Your Life is a Soap Opera If..."? Well, in my world, yesterday went a little like this: "You Know Your Life is a Soap Opera If...you listened to your mother, you would have married that up-and-comer at your father's law firm." But, we never listen to our mothers, right? And, sometimes, we hear our friends saying things to us, but it's more like, "Oh, Missy just doesn't understand the situation." Perhaps I should listen to my mother more. Or, perhaps I should give my friends credit for knowing more than I'll admit to. Regardless, I talk to my friends a lot when I have things to say, vent, or complain about. And, sometimes these things that I say, vent, or complain about have to do with other friends. I'm not exactly talking behind those other friends' backs, but rather holding a discourse about these other people, when maybe I should just keep those thoughts to myself.

At any rate, a fellow Wilbur marketing guru has the following Sufi quotation as her IM tagline: "How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." I frequently feel as though I'm a really good person who is sometimes mistreated by other relatively decent people, due to no fault of my own. Instead of verbally lashing out at those relatively decent people, perhaps I should think about my own karma and just leave well-enough alone...no matter how irritated, grossed out, or annoyed I am by those people or by their behavior. To tell you the truth, most people irritate me, gross me out, or annoy me, so that's why I have horses. My horses never disappoint me and never compel me to say things to other people that are most likely going to end up buying me an express train ticket straight to hell.

No comments: