Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Unbelievable...

So, I had a post ready for today that was about the fact that Prince William has dumped his long-term girlfriend and is now TOTALLY available, but I couldn't post about something so inconsequential when we are faced with the terrible events that occured yesterday morning at Virginia Tech. I have many friends that attended VaTech. Being originally from Bristol, TN/VA, everyone in my hometown either matriculated at UT in Knoxville or VT in Blacksburg. I'm sure that everyone in that area of the state is just struck horrified by what has happened.

Besides being geographically from the same area in Southwest VA, I am also disturbed by the fact that this is such a terrifying violation of a college campus and the academic community. Having been at a university (UT) for the past 10 years (as a graduate student, administrative employee, and faculty member) I find it both unbelieveable, yet frighteningly possible. On the whole, academic life at a large state university was safe, fun, stimulating, and interesting. But, I also know that it crossed my mind several times that, "wow...that student really hates me and he/she is rather unstable." How easy would it have been for Jane or Joe to just walk into a classroom and open fire? Or, to walk into my office in McClung Tower and just gun me down? How easy would that have been? Well, it would have been as easy as someone simply walking in off the street and pulling out a gun. It's unexpected, unanticipated, unprepared for, and almost unheard of. I feel for the people who were killed, the many who were injured and who witnessed this atrocity, and for the friends and families of everyone affected. I hope that those who are struggling with this right now will find some peace somehow, because I know that there really is no acceptable justification or explanation for this crime.

No comments: