Sunday, March 6, 2011

Confession

So, I was supposed to catch up with my bestie, Kelsey, on the phone last night.....but I must admit that I got sucked into a viewing of the original (1978) Ice Castles and I Could.Not.Stop.Watching. Have I not seen this movie about 1,000 times since I was 10 years old? Yes, I have. But it was on and I just couldn't bring myself to turn the channel.

I'm fascinated by the premise at the end whereby Lexie makes a comeback and skates blind. I've been toying with the idea of shutting my eyes in some of my gymnastic schools, since I believe that riding by feel is far better than the tugging, chippy, overly-controlling alternative. I read something the other day where a MFH told a young member of the hunt field that riding to hounds was nothing more than "trust." Trust that her horse's feet were solidly under him while galloping over rough terrain, that he would jump whatever was in front of him, and that he would eventually come to a stop when she pulled back on the reins. If I could just close my eyes and be one with Eddie and trust that his feet will just carry us to the jump, that he would take off from a good spot, and that he will not buck me off on landing, then I'd be so much less likely to make a mess of things over fences. See, there was a horse-related moral to this story after all!


No comments: